2024 - Janes Visiting Professorship in Surgery
The Royal College is currently undertaking a systemic review of the awards, grants and visiting professorships programs. As a result, for 2024 this award is currently under review and is on hold until further notice. Updates will be shared on this page as they become available. We appreciate your cooperation and understanding as we strive to make program improvements for the benefit of all members.
The Janes Visiting Professorship in Surgery, established by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, in cooperation with the Janes Surgical Society, is funded from the interest income of the Janes Fund. The Fund was created by former students of Dr. Robert M. Janes, former Professor of Surgery at the University of Toronto from 1947 to 1957.
- The purpose of this visiting professorship is to stimulate and increase an interest in the latest developments in surgery and surgical techniques.
- The Janes Visiting Professors are selected every two years.
- The visiting professor will be chosen by the Awards Committee of the Royal College.
- The visiting professor, preferably a Canadian surgeon of national stature, will spend one to three days visiting one to two medical schools according to a mutually agreed schedule.
- The professor participates in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and in the exchange of ideas with practicing surgeons, residents and students.
- The successful host organization (nominator) will be responsible for the arrangements and itinerary of the visit for which they are host.
- A written report on each visit will be submitted by the host facility(ies) as well as by the visiting professor.
- Canadian surgeon of national stature.
- Nominations are solicited from the Chairs of the Departments of Surgery of Canadian Faculties of Medicine.
The nomination shall include an introduction letter and an outline of the proposed itinerary / program of activity for the visiting professor.
Please include the following documents:
- Introduction letter outlining the reasons for nomination of candidate;
- Outline of the proposed itinerary / program of activity for the visiting professor;
- Nominee’s curriculum vitae.
- The professorship is supported by an honorarium of $1,000 per site visit, plus reimbursement of all costs related to the visiting professor’s travel and other related expenses, to a combined maximum of $7,000.00. Reimbursements of expenses will be paid directly to the visiting professor. Costs associated with catering and event organization are the responsibility of the host organization.
- Travel and related expenses are reimbursed within Royal College Travel Expense Policy guidelines.
Please submit your application via our online platform – Janes Visiting Professorship in Surgery
October 5, 2023. Late applications will not be considered.
Questions about this visiting professorship, please contact us via email firstname.lastname@example.org.