International Medical Educator of the Year Award
This award is given annually to an international medical educator who has demonstrated a commitment to enhancing residency education as evidenced by innovation and impact beyond their program. One award will be presented annually. The award winner receives a plaque recognizing their contribution, as well as travel and registration to the International Conference on Residency Education.
A nominee must be a current medical educator of a postgraduate program residing outside of Canada.
- Demonstrated commitment to innovation in residency education.
- Has had a lasting impact on the quality of residency education and measurable outcomes beyond their program.
- Evidence of effective leadership and mentorship ability.
- Embodies or integrates the CanMEDS Roles.
- Strong track record for promoting ethics, reflection and humanism in residency education.
- Nominations may be submitted by medical educators, deans, postgraduate deans, department chairs, division directors, peer teachers or trainees (maximum of two letters). Only 1 nomination submission package per candidate so coordination may be required if multiple individuals want to nominate the same individual.
- Nominations may be in English or French.
- Self-nominations are not accepted.
- Individuals may be re-nominated in subsequent years. However, previous winners of the award will not be eligible to win again.
Please submit your package as 1 PDF file in the following sequence order:
- 1 - Nomination letter addressing every element of criteria identified above. The effort put into the nomination letter is critical so the more information you provide the better. Please provide 2-3 examples of success for each criteria section
- 1 – Support letter from a resident (currently or recently graduated)
- 1 – Maximum of 3 page in length CV
Nominations are adjudicated by a subcommittee of the Awards Committee of the Royal College.
Holly Caretta-Weyer, MD, MHPE (Stanford University)
Daniel J. Schumacher, MD, PhD, Med, University of Cincinnati (Ohio, USA)